This topic will guide the learner to the surgical treatment of breast cancer and its complications.
Topics to be covered:
· Primary surgery in breast cancer, indication and factors
· Different breast cancer surgery options
· Long-term complication and changes after breast surgery
Learner will demonstrate advanced knowledge of:
· indications and factors for primary surgery.
· principles of BC surgery and surgical options for breast itself and axilla. Reconstructive surgery and post-op management.
· nursing and care procedures.
· complications of BC surgery
Learning material and test your knowledge :Breast cancer surgery
Click on the following link to access learning material: Primary Indications For Breast Surgery. Navigate inside prezi presentation by using arrows below the presentation to proceed logically
What did you learn? Test how well you learnt the topic of primary surgery in BC with the test below.
You can learn about breast cancer surgical intervetions by watching this Prezi presentation: Different breast cancer surgeries. Navigate inside prezi presentation by using arrows below the presentation to proceed logically
Next you can learn the principles of post-operative wound care and care of drainage by Thinglink learning material. Thinglink 360° space consists a treatment room where a nurse guides the patient. The treatment room is filmed with a 360° camera, so you can view the room by moving the mouse freely. You can get more information about wound care and care of drainage by clicking on the numbers in the titles and the colourful icons of the picture. Click on the following link to access learning material:
The following presentation will guide you through the Psychosocial needs of breast cancer patient. Navigate inside prezi presentation by using arrows below the presentation to proceed logically
You can learn about long-term complications of breast cancer surgery by clicking on the followink link to Prezi presentation. Navigate inside prezi presentation by using arrows below the presentation to proceed logically
Podcast: Supporting breast cancer patients regarding their sexual health. In case you wish to have a text version of the podcast, just press the button showing subtitles at left lower corner of the box.
What did you learn? Test how well you learnt the topic of supporting BC patients regarding sexual health issues with the test below
3. Gui Y, Liu X, Chen X, Yang X, Li S, Pan Q, Luo X, Chen L. A Network Meta-Analysis of Surgical Treatment in Patients With Early Breast Cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2019 Sep 1;111(9):903-915. Erratum in: J Natl Cancer Inst. 2020 Jan 1;112(1):117. PMID: 31187142; PMCID: PMC6748720.
5. Rogers CC, Pope S, Whitfield F, John, WF. and Valdez RS. The lived experience during the peri-diagnostic period of breast cancer: A scoping review. Patient Education and Counseling 2021; Mar;105 (3):547-585.